Tagging users is a flexible way to mange and organise your team(s). Tags are short descriptive labels or keywords that provide information such as project, date, location etc. Note that tags have no white-spaces or special characters, for example: demo_tag, project_x or 2020_covid_tracking.
This article covers:
By default, certain tags will be assigned automatically (i.e system tags). For example, team members are tagged with their user type e.g. Administrator or Data Collector. This applies to all plans.
If you’re subscribed to the Standard plan (or above), you can also create your own custom tags. Tags can be used to group users specific to you organisational structure and to keep track of additional information about your users. You can add as many tags as needed and remove tags that are no longer necessary/relevant. Tagging users may be useful in the following ways:
- Group users into teams within the workspace (e.g. region)
- Link users to a specific project or campaign
- Store custom information about a user such as whether they are an employee of the organisation or an outsourced fieldworker
Tags can be added to an individual user by following these steps.
- Select the settings cog of the specific user.
- From the drop-down list of actions, choose "Add tags".
- Select the tag that you wish to add. To create a new tag, simply type the name of the new tag in the space provided. Multiple tags can be added to the user at the same time.
- Confirm by selecting "Add tags".
Tags can easily be removed from users when they are no longer relevan necessary.
- Select the settings cog of the user.
- From the drop-down list of actions, choose "Remove tag".
- Select the tag that you wish to remove. Multiple tags can be removed from the user at the same time.
- Confirm by selecting "Remove tags".
Tags can be added to or removed from multiple users at the same time by using "bulk actions".
Note: Adding or removing user tags in bulk is only available to Account Owners, Administrators and Workspace managers.
- Use filters to find and list the relevant users.
- Select all the relevant users. You can use the "Select all" link or manually select the users by ticking the checkbox next to the user's name.
- Choose the action ('Add tags to' or 'Remove tags from') the bulk actions drop down menu.
- Click Apply.
The action will be applied to all selected users.
Filtering by tag:
Filters are very useful to search and find specific users.
- From the first filter, choose to filter by team members in the current workspace or team members in all the workspaces you have access to.
- Select the tag you wish to filter for from the drop-down list of tags. Note that if you choose multiple tags, e.g. south_africa and project_x, it will only show users that are tagged with both those tags. Not one or the other.
- Click "Filter team members" to apply the selected filters.
All team members matching the filters will be listed alphabetically as in the screenshot below.
Note: managing user tags is only available to users with the "Manage data collectors and assignments" permission. Account Owners, Administrators and Workspace Managers have this permission by default.