Related fields can be grouped together to keep your form organised and guide your responded through the form. Grouping fields also allows you to apply certain actions to a set fields at once (e.g. skip all the fields in the group based on a previously captured value, or repeat all the fields in the group).
This article will cover:
Add a new group
- Click on the Design tab of the form you wish to edit.
- Either click on the 'Add Field/Group' button at the bottom of the form, or
- Hover in between any field and click to add your group there. You can move the group to a different place later.
- Select 'Group' from the pop-up.
- The new group name will be generated by default, but can be edited. This name will not be displayed to the data collector when completing the form, but will reflect in the Design and the Analyse tabs.
- Click the group label text to edit. This text will be displayed to the data collector.
Once a group has been added, you can add fields inside your group, or drag existing fields into your group.
Delete a group
Deleting a group will remove all fields contained in the group. If any responses have already been received for any of the fields in the group, these will be archived but will still be available in the Analyse tab.
Note: if you accidentally delete a group, you can undo the action. However, once you've published your changes, you will not be able to reinstate the deleted group. Visit our form version management article form more more information on versioning.
To delete a group from your form:
- Click on the group that you want to delete.
- Select the 'bin' icon on the right-hand side.
- Confirm that you want to delete the group.
Skip logic can be applied to groups allowing you to skip or show All the fields in the group based on the skip logic applied at the group level.
Simply select the "Skip logic" tab of the group (1) and configure the skip logic(2).
Fields and groups will be displayed on the handset in the order that they appear on the console (unless you have added skip logic to adjust this order). You can easily reorder groups and the fields within them by clicking on the field or group and dragging it to where you want it to appear.
Alternatively, you can also reorder groups using the navigation panel on the left-hand side by clicking and dragging it to a new place, even across pages.
Note: When reordering fields and groups, make sure that any skip logic that you have applied previously still make sense.
Groups can contain any number of fields and/or other groups. Groups within groups are referred to as 'nested groups' and can be created as described above by hovering your mouse between the fields in your existing group and clicking to add another (1). Groups and nested groups are indicated by a bold brace on the left of the fields they contain (2).
Note: it is not recommended to add more than 3 levels of nested groups as it will affect the readability on the handset.
Nested groups will display on the handset as follows:
Note: Enabling repeats for your groups is covered in our article on repeating groups.