When adding fields to your form, you will be asked to select the type of field you would like to add. You will be able to select from the following:
- Basic fields
- Information - display instructions, warnings, or confirmations
- Text - capture a single line or paragraph of text
- Number - capture numerical input such as integers or decimals
- Date/Time - capture a date, time, or date and time
- Choice fields
- Select (one/many) - capture a selection from a list of options
- Cascading select - capture a selection from a hierarchical list of options
- Likert - capture a response from a list of options presented on a scale
- Media fields
- Image - capture or upload an image/photo file
- Audio - capture or upload an audio file
- Video - capture or upload a video file
- Signature - capture a signature
- Advanced fields
- Calculated Value - use built-in functions and operators to calculate and store a value in a hidden field
- Location - capture a geographic point using GPS or map input
- Barcode - scan or enter a barcode or QR code
- Layout fields
- Group - group related fields together to apply repeat or skip logic
Depending on the field type, different settings will be available:
Field name (1)
This is your field's identifier and will appear in your analytics. It defaults to "field_type_(incrementing number)" but can be updated at any point by clicking on it. The field name cannot be blank and has to be unique across your form. It may only contain alphanumeric characters, hyphens and underscores.
Note: Field names are not allowed to contain spaces or round brackets.
Field (display) text (2)
This is the text your fieldworker will see when using the form. It defaults to "Enter your field text" but can be updated at any point by clicking on it. The field text cannot be blank.
Basic settings tab (3)
Here you can manage a few basic settings for the field. The settings available depends on the field type and can include:
- Hint text - optionally add additional tips or instructions to your fieldworkers about the response required.
- Default response - optionally choose a value that the field should be pre-populated with for the fieldworker.
- Answer format - if applicable, you can indicate the format of the expected response, e.g. single line vs paragraph text response. This is only editable until you have published the field.
Validation tab (7)
In this tab you can add rules to determine whether a response is valid or not. For more details and examples, read here.
Skip logic tab (8)
In this tab you can manage rules for when to show or hide a field. For more details and examples, read here.
Option list tab (9)
For all Choice fields (i.e. Select, Cascading and Likert field types) you have to specify the options from which respondents can choose. In this tab you can add and remove options one by one or in bulk. You can also reorder your options, and update their labels and values at any time. For more details and examples, read here.
Using the legacy form designer? Have a look at our article on Field Types in the legacy form designer.