Creating a form is the starting point for capturing data. Forms can be used to capture any kind of data including surveys, questionnaires, interviews, assessments and almost any other kind of data.
When creating a form you can choose to start with a blank document, duplicate an existing form, or import a XForm from your computer.
To create a new form:
- Open the quick-switch menu and select the project you want to add the form to.
- Select '+ New Form'.
Alternatively, you can create a new form in the project you are currently in from the project Dashboard:
Once you have selected '+ New Form', a dialog box will open and you will have 3 options:
- New: add a blank form and build it from scratch.
- Duplicate: duplicate a form that already exists in one of your projects.
- Import form: upload a form in XForm format from your computer.
Creating a blank form
To create a blank form and build it from scratch:
- Select 'New' from the dialog box.
- Add the details of the form:
- Form Name: this is the name that you will see on the console and that your fieldworkers will see on their handsets. You will be able to change this name at any stage during the project from the form's Design page.
- Default Language: this is the language in which the form will be created. The form's default language cannot be updated once the form is created, but you can add translations later.
- Select 'Create Form'. The new form will open in the Design view. A form always starts in Draft status and can only be captured once you publish it.
Duplicate an existing form
To duplicate a form that already exists in one of your projects:
- Select 'Duplicate' from the dialog box (1).
- Choose the form you want to duplicate (2):
- Select Project: select the project containing the form you wish to duplicate from a drop-down list of all the projects you have access to.
- Select Form: select the form you wish to duplicate from a drop-down list containing all the forms in the project you selected above.
- Form Name: this is the new form name that you will see on the console and that your fieldworkers will see on their handsets. This will default to the same name as the form you are duplicating, with the word "(copy)" appended. You can choose another name and will also be able to update it at any stage during the project from the form's Design page.
- Select 'Duplicate Form' (3). The new form will open in the Design view. A form always starts in Draft status and can only be captured once you publish it.
Another way to duplicate an existing form is from the project Dashboard. Click on the cog next to the form you want to duplicate, and select 'Duplicate' from the drop-down menu. This will directly add a copy of the form and list it under Draft forms on your Dashboard.
Import a form
This is covered by the article on importing and exporting XForms.