Creating a form is the starting point in the data collection process. Forms can be used to capture any kind of data including surveys, questionnaires, interviews, assessments and almost any other kind of data.
- Create a new form
- Creating a blank form
- Duplicating an existing form
- Importing a form
- Using a form template
Create a new form
If you have design permissions for the workspace you are currently working in, you can create a new form by launching the quick-switch menu and selecting "New Form".
Alternatively, you can create a new form in the workspace you are currently in from the workspace Dashboard:
A dialog box will open and you will have 4 options:
- New: add a blank form and build it from scratch.
- Duplicate: duplicate a form that already exists in one of your workspaces.
- Import form: upload a form in XForm format from your computer.
- Use a template: copy a form from your organisation's template library.
Creating a blank form
To create a blank form and build it from scratch:
- Select 'Blank' from the dialog box.
- Add the details of the form:
- Form Name: this is the name that you will see on the console and that your fieldworkers will see on their handsets. You will be able to change this name at any stage during the workspace from the form's Design page.
- Default Language: this is the language in which the form will be created. The form's default language cannot be updated once the form is created, but you can add translations later.
- Select 'Create Form'. The new form will open in the Design view. A form always starts in Draft status and can only be used to captured data once you publish it.
Duplicating an existing form
To duplicate a form that already exists in one of your workspaces:
- Select 'Duplicate' from the dialog box.
- Choose the form you want to duplicate:
- Select Workspace: select the workspace containing the form you wish to duplicate from a drop-down list of all the workspaces you have access to.
- Select Form: select the form you wish to duplicate from a drop-down list containing all the forms in the workspace you selected above.
- Form Name: this is the new form name that you will see on the console and that your fieldworkers will see on their handsets. This will default to the same name as the form you are duplicating, with the word "(copy)" appended. You can choose another name and will also be able to update it at any stage from the form's Design page.
- Select 'Duplicate Form'. The new form will open in the Design view. A form always starts in Draft status and can only be used to captured data once you publish it.
Another way to duplicate an existing form is from the workspace Dashboard. Click on the cog next to the form you want to duplicate, and select 'Duplicate' from the drop-down menu. This will directly add a copy of the form and list it under Draft forms on your Dashboard.
Importing a form
It's possible to import a form from your computer in a supported format.
Using a form template
Create a new form using a template that has been added to the Form template library.