The handset's identifier - this is either the handset's IMEI (if it has one) or its Android ID. IMEI is short for International Mobile Equipment Identity and is a numeric code of 15 - 17 digits.
The handset's identifier may be requested by a Mobenzi agent to assist with troubleshooting handset related queries.
How to locate the IMEI or Android ID
When launching the Mobenzi Gateway app on a handset for the first time, the IMEI (if the handset has one) and Android ID will be displayed at the bottom of the initial setup screen.
Once Mobenzi Gateway has been installed, you can also locate these identifiers as follows.
- From the Mobenzi Gateway mobile app Home screen, open the 'Help' module
- Tap on 'My handset info'.
- The handset's IMEI (if it has one) and Android ID will be displayed.
On the handsets management page each handset's identifier will be listed along with information about the device - e.g. who it is assigned to, the asset code, application version etc.
Note: Recent versions of the Android operating system (Android 10 and newer) prevent apps from accessing the handsets's IMEI. In these cases, the Android ID is automatically used as the identifier
Alternative ways to find the handset's IMEI
If for any reason, you can't access the Mobenzi Gateway application, you can usually find the IMEI using one of these techniques:
- Dial *#06# from your handset. Your IMEI will immediately be displayed.
- Look under the handset's battery or on the box your handset came in.
- Look in the 'Settings' menu of your handset. It is slightly different depending on the make and model of your handset, but you can typically see the IMEI by following these steps:
- Select 'Settings',
- Scroll to 'About Phone'
- Select 'About Phone' and scroll to IMEI