Customising the form menu allows you to edit the default menu displayed by the Mobenzi mobile application when conducting a form. By adding your own menu items, you can enable access to other functionality by launching third-party applications installed on the handset (for example to scan a barcode). If you wish, you can customise the menu for each individual form in your project.
Supported menu actions
Each menu item has an action and a label associated with it. The following menu actions are supported:
- Launch a compatible barcode or QR code scanning application.
- Access enhanced form controls such as signature capture, advanced multi-selects and option list hierarchy controls.
- Open a URL in a web browser.
- Open a file stored on the handset (or on the web) using the default application associated with the file type.
- Launch the handset's default/native sound recording application (Note: the recorded audio will not be returned to the Mobenzi mobile application - it will need to be saved and uploaded separately).
Using custom menu actions
There are two steps involved in customising the form menu:
- Set up your own menu items.
- Assign menu items to specific fields in your form.
Set up your own menu items
- From the Design tab, select 'Advanced Form Options' from the ribbon.
- In the panel on the right, select 'Form menu and enhanced controls'.
- The current menu items are displayed. The 'Back' and 'Quit Survey' options cannot be removed from the menu, but you can rename them if you want to by using the edit icon.
- Click the Add icon.
- Select the Action you wish to add from the drop-down menu.
- Give the menu item a label - this is the text that will be displayed to the fieldworker when opening the option menu.
The newly added menu item will now also be displayed in the preview:
Assign menu items to specific fields in your form
In most cases, the menu item you've created will only apply to certain fields in your form. When adding or editing a field, you can specify which menu item(s) should be available to the fieldworker for that field (in addition to the mandatory 'Back' and 'Quit Form' menu items).
Note: This menu item will only be available at the fields where it was specifically added by following the steps below.
Example: Fieldworkers should only be able to scan a product code when prompted for it. See this article for the full instructions.
- Add a new field with text prompting the fieldworker to scan the QR code.
- Select 'Next' until you get to the 'Custom Menu (optional)' tab.
3. Select the custom menu item(s) you would like to be available to the fieldworkers for this field by ticking the check box next to it.
4. You can also choose whether you want to allow manual input from the fieldworker at this field or not.
5. Select 'Finish'.
Once you've applied a custom menu item to a field, an icon will appear at the top right of the field in the designer to indicate this.